1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L2 Classic - expectations and reality

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sellas, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Sellas

Sellas User

so, after playing a bit on russian classic i would like to talk a bit about the expectations the community seem to have. people seem to think that the online they have to expect for server to succeed is around 3000 players.

this is terribly wrong, as c1 is a very small chronicle there is a low amount of spots and the overall spot level discrapency is very high, way wider than any official server at the moment.

from my experience as a player playing on gran kain in the mornings the online is always around 1500 players, this is not even close to gk's prime time of 3500.
    and man, do i have to say most of the spots are filled up anyway. there's literally people everywhere. the freshers, people on level 20 spots, level 30, cruma is filled up with cp trains. even freaking dragon valley is full of people.
    i do not even want to write what happens with 3500 online on such a small map as classic, which doesn't even have all the c1 (!) zones!

the general opinion is that server will faill if it doesn't come close to gk's prime time online, but i'll tell you one thing - we don't even need 1500.

if we get an average online of 1000 players that will be totally enough of what is required to have a good and fun server. and that's the number of players that i expect there to be after 2 months. after all the people live down the nostalgia and they decide to flush it down the drain, being hit by reality - this game makes no sense without a cp, cps disband often and it's a hard ******* task to find one if you don't play a support class.

and as shown by the statistics graph, everyone wants to play pro ownator class - mostly nukers since they are the best on early chronicles, but also archers. the server's stability will be measured by the amount of active support and how many active cps will stay there for around 4 months. because to get to the end game you do need around 4 months of play.
    yes, if you dedicate to this server and want to be active it's atleast 4 months of grind.
    and it will be too much for most of the nostalgia warriors that have jobs and they will quit after 2 months.

what i expect is the server to have 3000 active online at start, keep it around for a month just like russian gk and then the player base should start going away, after 2 months the prime time should be around 1500 and 1000 all around online on the server. that's my prediction and i think it's gonna be fairly accurate looking at all the data we have from core's start and how the russian server started up as well. there won't be alot of boxes. they do not make sense. the active support and cps is what will make the difference between server being good or bad.

the reality of the ruclassic is very harsh as well for a player that want to dedicate, they won't ever be able to use soulshots consantly. with the 1/6 adena drop rate and the cost of crafting them they only server their use at pvp, and honestly it is very painful to level without a cp. i'd say it's impossible to get 40 on your own, unless you play a warlord with a boxed wc. warlord has this awesome stun landrate which keeps the mobs permastunned.

so yes, if you're 30 years of age, got a job and want to play casually, then listen to me. your only option is warlord. literally. on this chronicle, without shots. if you want to get somewhere, even slowly you won't be able to unless you play a warlord. other classes are just not even sufficient for solo players. also don't remember about a box.

this kinda conludes this rant, just wanted to clear up a few misconceptions the community seem to have and offer my perspective as a long time ruclassic player. i really do hope the server will succeed and we'll get a stable and realtively bot-free experience. people just need to know what really they should expect, and that if they want to play a nuker/gladi/archer and don't have time to commit to cp they will be forced to quit after a month. because, without shots, without a boxed support. they won't be able to do litreally anything. and even if you count in all the previously mentioned factors it will be still too much of a pain in the *** for them and they will either quit or the game will become a grind with the fun factor disappearing, i know there are masochists that will force themselves through it, but really. what's the point?

the only question is..... is innova willing to keep the server alive for those 1000 people?
    i think the only way for it to be mildly profitable is pay2play and eur8 monthly option.
    and you should hope for pay2play if you want this server to stay around.

tl;dr - 1000 online will be enough to keep the world busy and make it feel alive on c1's map.

Grumeck and innadril like this.
  2. vanity

vanity Moderator

i agreed with you on everything till you came up with '' only solo class option is warlord '' lol wtf dude
    you need buffs and recharger to make warlord worth since they are killing literally with skills and not autoattack
    mages are the most op class for early game and for solo exp , since they have pet with self-recharge except spellhowler
    so they tank + attack with cat/pony and ofcourse self spells from the mage which makes them really op

rqxmvKK118 likes this.
  3. Omegashin

Omegashin User

i'll play my elf mage and ye, if i'll stuck for months at lv 20 , will not be a problem. i want to enjoy the game in every single step, i don't care anymore to arrive to the endgame in short time.

ApOst13, Kloey, Swayarn and 3 others like this.
  4. Lillim

Lillim User

l2 classic can be fun only without support class system, support buf system (except healers) kill game playing especially if someone like play solo sometimes... on priv server you can always open 2-3 xl2 with support to play.

5. innadril

innadril User

i'll step into the game with the same mind. i've had enough "competitive" l2 during this years and i want to revive those first days of fun and learning again with this classic thingy... also i guess i'm gonna save competitive energies for lineage eternal.

Leeway likes this.
  6. UnCavayo

UnCavayo User

according with the class list of gk posted by kabul 5 of the 8 most common class are supports, and the most common is shilien elder so i dont know what statistics graphs are you talking about. and that thing you said that the only way to get 40 solo is playing a warlord thats makes no sense.

Leeway and innadril like this.
  7. Banana Monsta

Banana Monsta User

its a fact that mages are good for soloing, since all they need till 40 is boxed se(or even not), still aoe is far more protifable than single target killing.
    wl is the best solo class as he said, ppl are easily soloing rooms in ct2 with wl just with boxed se.
    stun rate is probably the most op thing in classic, 2 thunder storms and every mob is standing still, which is making so easily to farm with wl's.
    and as he said they best way is to play nukers/archers cp, to actualy reach smth in decent time period

8. blowmeaway

blowmeaway User

mmmmm....
    i dont see the same amount of players of gk here on classic eu.

we have oceania, na, eu, south america, to join server.

9. vanity

vanity Moderator

wl + se isn't soloing , you need 2 people right ? while the mage can xp all the way to 40 alone , twice as fast or even more than wl + se ( 2 chars ) playing the same amount of hours
    and not allways trains are faster than one by one mob xp , depends kill speed , most of the times you need to wait mobs to respawn so you need a lot of rooms to compensate
    it's just my opinion tho :)

10. iboyanov

iboyanov User

i remember playing buffless with my sps for around 1-2 minutes, untill all his mp was drained for few mobs, then sitting down for 5-6 minutes to get it back at full and i was happy as a cucumber. maybe i am spoiled now and won't feel the same way, but only time will show :)

another mind-boggling thing that i remember is that i was literally doing my 2nd proffesion quests for 2 straight weeks, not a single adena was used for teleport. of course there was a lot of loading time, a lot of researching what should i do, where should i go, where does that quest take me, how to find a certain kind of mobs and etc.

Advocad, vanity and johnfistikis like this.
  11. vanity

vanity Moderator

this is pretty much what you will find in l2 classic , nice description ;) i felt the same back in the day.

12. kabul

kabul User

forget about teleports man. forget about mailing. some ppl dont even use warehouse! ill give you expamle for this:
    -teleport from gludin to starting towns 3000 adena, wooden set ~13-15k adena, devotion set 40k adena and on 20th lvl u get something about 20 adena per mob solo. so i dont think u will use drop from 150 mobs for 1 teleport - run forrest
    -sending mail to other chars, boxes etc - 1100 adena for each thing in mail. do you remember running to strange places with ur boxes, droping items on the ground and ultra fast relog with hearth on hand for picking up? u will do it again (unless u have a friend to hold it)
    -since u drop after dying from mob keeping ur stuff in inventory is not so safe, dropping 10 animal skins hurts a lot - each one costs about 200-250 adena, but wait! for every item u put into warehouse u pay 30a. so u can risk ur mats or pay tax about 15% each time u use warehouse :d what to do? more stuff in inventory = less chance u drop someting expensive, but here everything is useful!

personaly i dont see how ppl can make 40lvl solo. maybe some maniacs. people have to learn how to use party matching option. all russians know it. its not a big problem to find party with it. ive never seen eu players use this option, but you will start or die trying get 0.01% per 10 mobs :p i understand cp system is not for everyone, so random players need to learn how to play random efficiently. its good for community to play with randoms! dd, support will always find party with party matching. maybe eu ppl will finally cooperate and help each other. we will se. id love to see how randoms will play on eu classic (if there will be one :p ).

Ironic likes this.
  13. ANXIE7Y

ANXIE7Y Banned

the amount of clueless here amazes me. classic is utterly boring anyways.

14. blowmeaway

blowmeaway User

and why u came here?

Louk97 and Ironic like this.
  15. Banana Monsta

Banana Monsta User

i meant a box se obviously, and without buffs kill speed of single mob is much lower than aoe, unless you actually got a decent pt but you have to share drops/adena.
    not to mention that as a nuker you are doomed after 40, even a boxed recharger is not enough to be effective, while wl is easily able to get 53-54 in ct2, and even higher if he got spot on dv, just with boxed se

16. wtfred

wtfred User

or you can play support, shout for party / use party finder, find one in a few min. i never inderstood people who want to play solo on mmo games.

17. innadril

innadril User

because his poor god is dead

ApOst13 and johnfistikis like this.
  18. vanity

vanity Moderator

yes ofcourse it is better to play with friends/cp than alone, i was just stating my point which is mage best class for solo
    and better to find ppl in party matching and go aoe than grinding solo ,so yeah people has to learn to use this feature i mean russians use it way more often than the rest

the only one clueless here might be you , make us a favour and go back to your instanced server section thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2015
    johnfistikis likes this.
  19. Hartassen

Hartassen User

is it really 1/6 adena drop rate in ru classic? i hope they won't try that in europe. keep original c1 drop rates for adena sp etc. why make it 1/6? that's painful and nobody will play like that.

20. GreedDwarf

GreedDwarf User

make it 15 bucks a month with normal drop rates.

Katsunosuki likes this.