1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on servers density/amount of servers

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Norz!, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norz!

Norz! User

i thought this deserved it's own thread.

i don't want to talk about simple personal comfort here, but more about realistic, pragmatic points in the community's interest.

lineage2 classic is hardcore enough. actually, way more hardcore than enough, and it's fine for most of us oldschoolers. but there wont be only oldschoolers, there will be people looking for a new experience, that heard about l2 in the past and see there their chance at living the "l2 experience". there will also be oldschoolers that'll be 10 years older than when they played back in the day, are now in their 30s and can't put up with the same amount of awesome ********* they did when they were younger.

it's in everyone's interest - hardcore players or not - to ensure we get a large enough community... in the long run. we can obviously not change the xp rate, give newbies buffs etc or it wouldn't be classic anymore, what we can do however is make sure that there are enough servers at launch for people not to find themselves 50 vs a keltir. this is just stupid, and has very little to do with "hardcore" or "classic".

sure enough, that means servers merge down the road, people having to change name or maybe even lose a clan hall. i still think this is a very very little price to pay if that ensures us a bigger players base, and a slightly smoother early days experience.

any other option that offers a smoother start should be considered, but let people quit for the "good" reasons if they must, not because it's impossible to... even get started.

don't see servers merge as a failure, just as a smart move that was part of the plan.

thoughts ?

2. iKobu

iKobu User

pvp for your mobs or wait 3 months, when people already would be arround 40 u can start your toon with peacefull exp.
    don't take me wrong but im one of those guys who start 10 years ago and if we still playing lineage2 not matter if god or classic its coz of pvp. if you want 10 servers for exp in peace w/o troubless u are killing the essence of this game.

johnfistikis likes this.
  3. evd1337

evd1337 User

unless, we get significantly more than 15k votes , we should stick with one server. on the other hand if we have 20k or more, innova could consider opening another server. i think no matter what, they'll start with one. if gets out of hand, open second and so on.

4. iKobu

iKobu User

1 server can't handle more than 6k/6.5k people.
    so its obvius 15k people would be spread in 2/3 servers.
    but this guy its talking about make it less hardcore coz c1 map dont have enough spots for more than 1.5k people, imagine how many mobs u will be able to kill with 6k people on same map even at same lvl if you star play from 1st min, well it will be pain in the *** for those who wanna play but its simple, l2=pvp if you want mobs, you must fight for them.

TheSin, PwNzy and Hogen like this.
  5. evd1337

evd1337 User

15k registrations != 15k simultaneous players

ReewOxize likes this.
  6. Norz!

Norz! User

also started 10 years ago, during beta. i'm not taking it wrong, but i do think you're kinda missing where i'm getting at.

there is quite a gap between the "carebear" mode leveling you're talking about, and being 10 for every keltir instead of 50, like i'm talking about. there would still be naked pvp everywhere ahah

and like i said, there is also the fact that you gotta think about the big picture, which is what's the community going to look like 6 months down the road.

it's ok though, all opinions are obviously welcome!

7. iKobu

iKobu User

o_o? i didn't get what you wanna say with that.

8. xcvbxbvcx

xcvbxbvcx User

hardcore farmers will play under any circumstances. innova will take care of more casual players first thus at least 2-3 servers will be launched fosho.
    even then there will be not enough mobs for everyone. just chill and wait for servers to come.
    server with most "pro clans/players" will lead and rest full of carebears will be merged into it later on.
    simple as that :)

ReewOxize likes this.
  9. evd1337

evd1337 User

15 000 registrations does *not* equal to 15 000 simultaneous players.

10. iKobu

iKobu User

already i count with that, but maybe u forgot about dual/triple box, if you get from 15k regs 8k real players maybe half or more than half will do at least dual box so :/

11. Luminight

Luminight User

in my experience on the russian servers they implemented higher mob spawn and higher amount of mobs in the early zones to combat over crowding. the guys who were lucky enough to log in first therefore went on to the higher zones. this kind of staggering effect helped a lot. there will be the usual antics of mages ksing melee mobs when they're running to them. as long as you can do the early quests and get a foot hold there won't be a problem. i played on gran kain and i didn't find any issues at all with over crowding i hope this is reassuring to people

12. Norz!

Norz! User

this is a pretty good work around to the issue imo. i don't know if it's enough, but it's definitly something.

13. MaoMao

MaoMao User

if done well, yes.

when god started, gms were around spawning mobs, it was hard to login, yeah, there were glitches, people were let in in tranches, the site crashed, etc.
    i could not go in from the first hours and had to wait half a day or so as it was already way too late when i gave up.
    i hope they plan it well this time and i am sure there will be at least 2 servers, i think initially 4 and then merge in 2. but i hope the game will be so popular in many parts of the world, there will be more servers needed.
    right now, we are only a few nostalgics gathering 15 k "intentions", but when l2 launched in na, there were many people who never played it and still had a lot of overcrowding and technical glitches.
    now, the market is very much changed, there are plenty of titles to choose from, but, except from eve and a couple others, they are more or less the same, easy to progress, fast to reach endgame, nothing to do afterwards.
    god is a good example of a mmo where there is plenty to do at endgame however, you reach it way too easy and fast, heck, you can be 99 in a couple of days only with l2store and powerleveling, missing everything along the way.

BlackWoodz likes this.
  14. Tirith

Tirith User

pvp outside elven village again! yeeeeee (lol)

ReewOxize and AccodoToonype like this.
  15. zauliuz

zauliuz User

15k registrations = 20-30% of them from same persons, another 20% just signup for more spam in email inbox, 50% will try to play, and from those who play, ~30-40% will quit after 1st month when subscription ends..
    edit: also forget about boxed alt accounts, so from those ~7k left only 3-4k "live players" wich half of them sit in town with /sell /buy

you can forget pvp there because 1 death = few hours of exp to get back lost % :) atleast on low levels.

16. migulogigolo

migulogigolo User

[​IMG]

17. Tirith

Tirith User

besides, i wasn't being really serious.

edit: never mind, i misunderstood the translation

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    AccodoToonype likes this.
  18. Ven al Formaggio

Ven al Formaggio User

well, i don't know if it's technically possible, but what about channels, in starting areas only, for the first two weeks or so?

19. Jammer

Jammer User

i'm sure we'll get a minimum of 2 servers. back when i was playing on ru and i tried to log in during us evening time (which is middle of the night for the russians) there was still a queue to get in. i couldn't log in whenever i wanted until late at night. sure that's changed now, but it's been 6 months since ru started. with just 1 eu server, half of the people would never be able to log in, for at least the first couple of months.

did anyone here play archeage? i was on kyrios and there were some nights i never got to log in at all because of queue's, that's what this would become with just 1 server, i seriously doubt they will let that happen.

ReewOxize likes this.
  20. deadmaker

deadmaker User

i expect 2 servers. maybe 3. but no more than that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.