1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roleplaying in Lineage II

Discussion in 'Community' started by Grazzt, May 8, 2015.

1. Grazzt

Grazzt User

just like deepblue has asked us, here's the generic thread where we can talk about rping in the wolrd of aden !

i'm still working on my shillien empire website, but i though we could start by the rp guidelines i intend to write, and go from there ;)

watch out for this long post, and if you're not interested in rp you are absolutely entitled to your opinion of course, but it wouldn't be interesting to trash it, that would just be a waste of time & space for everybody including you :rolleyes:

i. general guidelines

what is "role-playing" ?
    roleplaying means playing as your character, acting as if you actually were your character in the game world, instead of only playing as you, the player behind your pc screen. it adds an extra layer of fun and immersion to the game !
    a lot of people nowadays jump to a new mmo, try to reach maximum level as fast as possible, then get bored and quit ... rince and repeat with the next mmo ...
    the idea of roleplaying is a different one, we're taking our time, doing some other things besides pve & pvp, and have fun while leveling up and exploring the world of aden !

what's the difference between ooc and ic ?
    "ooc" means "out of character", that's when the player is talking, not his/her character. the shillien empire clan chat for example is ooc, which means that when you talk in the clan chat, you can talk about anything and everything, as you, the player.
    "ic" means "in character", that's when your character is talking. when our characters meet each other in the game, the /say chat is ic, which means that whatever you'll type is what your character is gonna tell the other characters.
    for exemple, when you're talking in the clan chat (ooc), you could say something like "hey guys, how's everyone doing, seen any good movies ?", and when you're meeting another character ingame and talking in the /say chat (ic), you would probably say something like "greetings my dark elf brother, have you visited our shillien temple lately?"

ii. your character

what about your character's name ?
    the first in-game immersion is of course your character's name !
    if you want to take part in the rp, you need to choose a name that would feel kinda "heroic fantasy" and could actually be a character's "real" name.
    you also need not to take a name that already exists in some well-known universe of course, or it would feel wrong.
    for exemple, you don't want to name your character "superbooze", or "m4r1us", or "han solo" or anything ... there are plenty of names available if you just use your imagination !

where does your character come from ?
    it's usually a good idea to think of a little background for your character.
    you will see that it makes you even more connected with your character if you think about his past, his age, his family, his motivations, what really brought him out of his starting village and into the world of aden, etc...
    and when you're done, don't hesitate to post your background here on the forums !
    an important note about that : you can come up with an epic backstory, but you have to also respect the game world.
    aden is there to be used, but when you are designing your backstory or thinking up stories that you want your character (and others) to live through, keep in mind that we are all playing in a shared world. it's kind of like a tv series with a lot of writers. each writer should have his own plot ideas, but he needs to work around the other writers.
    simply put, if your your character claims to be a high priest of shilen, then you would have just declared yourself as the boss of any other character who is part of that organisation - without ever asking them. likewise, if you create a rp story plot that requires that your character kills off drizzit or that the dark elf village is burning, you are claiming important elements of the game world as your own, denying all others to work with them.

what is your character's alignment ?
    the alignment is a totally optional concept, but which you can use if you want to be more specific about the way your character will act.it's taken from the venerable (and excellent !) dungeons & dragons game, and is a sort of "morality" for your character.
    there are 9 alignments in d&d, which you can choose from, and you can find all the info about them here (xxx link to alignments xxx)

what about your character's talents and flaws ?
    ideally, each of your characters should have a a special talent or two (after all, we're all heroes here !), but also some flaws to make them more believable.
    nobody likes a character who is overly perfect. usually found in immature fan-fiction, these characters are nearly invincible, multi talented to the extreme, and loved by everyone (except the readers). in roleplaying, these kinds of characters are heavily discouraged, as they are often found annoying or no fun to rp with at all. if you observe real people, you'll find that everyone has flaws, and can't be good at everything they do.
    in short, you really need to try to limit your character so that other people don't feel like it is too 'overpowered'. one very important thing in roleplaying is to respect the other people and their own characters.
    we all enjoy having powerful or important characters, it's a good part of what makes roleplaying fun. but whenever you interact with others, watch out that your own character is never awesome at the expense of other players, he or she should never be so perfect and powerful that all others look weak in comparison.

iii. interacting with others

how do we "speak" when we rp ?
    when we rp, we're supposed to always stay ic (in-character, like exaplained above).
    and just as with every language, there are some "codes" that we are supposed to follow when we rp between us and with other rp clans.
    because the shillien empire is a "light-rp" clan, these codes are kept to a minimum, but it is a much more enjoyable experience for everyone if you follow them.
    concerning the use of smileys : do not use them, it is something that absolutely breaks the immersion. it may be hard at first because everyone is so used to using smileys nowadays, but really, avoid the smileys like the plague in the /say chat ! (you can use smileys in our clan chat of course, as it's an ooc chat)
    so, how can you describe the emotions of your characters if you dont use the smileys ?
    well, in every mmorpg, including lineage ii, we have emotes, and that's exactly what they are for !

what are the emotes here in lineage ii ?
    (xxx tech info about l2 emotes xxx)
    one very important thing when using emotes is to avoid forcing anything on anyone. for example, avoid an emote that looks like this : "x grabs y by the throat and throws y away."
    you don't control other characters, and you need to give them a chance to respond to whatever emote you write, so that everyone feels like they're respected in the roleplay. instead of the earlier emote, a respectful one could be : "x tries to grab y by the throat to throw y away."
    this shows that your character is -trying- to do something, and doesn't guarantee success. this gives other players the chance to respond - either by letting your character suceed in their attempt, or to have it fail.

iv. the most important rule of all

this is a game, and we're all here to have fun !
    this famous rule is the basis of all gaming and roleplaying, not only in lineage ii.
    games are meant to be fun and should never provoke negative emotions that could affect you in real life. should this ever be the case, just take a break, do some other things, get some perspective by going out, seeing friends or whatnot, and come back in a happy, nice & friendly state of mind to play with us !
    for us here, the most important part of this rule is the "all". meaning "everybody is supposed to have fun - not only some of us". basically, all other rules and guidelines above are just ways of rephrasing and explaining this most important rule !
    so now ... have fun !!

Last edited: May 8, 2015
    IzalithSky, EnDmOsT, Dorfa and 5 others like this.
  2. Maya Reinhartz

Maya Reinhartz User

oh boy you're really doing this.

best of luck.

you can ask me for help whenever you need it, it's the least i can offer to fellow roleplayers.

may our enemies be embraced by our beloved goddess

edit: plot.

reinhartz had always been dedicated to the elven race, going as far as to inherit the elders' prejudice towards the brown elves.
    he would hear tales and repeat them in his songs of justice, courage and devotion to his goddess, eva, although the fact that he sung lies was still unknown to him. during his early life reinhartz spent his time surrounded by a known environment, under the protection and shade of the mother tree, singing the stories of his people, at that time, seen by him as the ultimate creation from the gods. he was rarely in contact with members of other races, always looking at them with disdain from afar, specially the so-called dark elves. he would spend most of his time researching in the elven library, said to have more knowledge than any other, looking for content for his songs, songs that would spread the glory and purity of his chosen race.

a few years later all elves were surprised to be summoned by hierarch asterios who revealed that the mother tree was dying, efforts were quickly put into finding a cure as most elves left in pilgrimage, reinhartz was no different. the journey not only had shown him a way to cure the mother tree like it had to many others but it also allowed him to perfect his skills and experience as a sword singer and most importantly had forced him to interact with the outside world. reinhartz came back different, influenced by the company of humans and dwarves whom he had traveled with, although his prejudice against dark elves was still present, its intensity and presence in his songs had been lowered severely. not satisfied with the simple life of dedication to his people's lore and tales of old anymore, reinhartz permanently left the elven village to travel around the world, many of the thoughts that used to be his were now being criticized by his newer self, it didn't take long for reinhartz to raise selfish leaders' flags as his own and defend their ideals with his life on the line, soon reinhartz found himself between the political struggle of the elmoreden continent during years to come...

growing disheartened with the world's state reinhartz, put away his sword and songs, choosing instead to travel the world once more, looking for a way to set it right. he came in contact with a group of individuals known as the black hands, a group that had a very different tale to tell him, the 'true' tale of the beginning as they called it. faced against a cold night alone or company for a night around a warm bonfire was an easy choice to make. reinhartz listened to the black hands' tale and during its course he rose up in anger to confront such blasphemy, eventually the group managed to finish the story, sun rise soon following, still doubting their words reinhartz said he would accompany the group to prove that such a tale was false, his statement was made with fierce determination.

the black hands eventually uncovered several giants' relics that contained information on the gods, reinhartz had no choice but to act in denial as evidence continuously proved their story during their travels. accepting that his early life was spent on worshiping lies was not easy, but once he did so reinhartz became a member of the black hands, his songs now spreading the true tale of the gods, not the human or elven fabrications he had been told and dutifully served. he had learned the truth about how the elves were created by shilen, how the brown elves were formed and how the world was thrown into its current chaotic chronicles. those who were benefited by lies quickly pointed out the black hands as outlaws, every guard in the territories of elmore, aden and gracia were to attack on sight at any of the group's known members. the black hands had no choice but to seek refuge in avella, far from the current political struggles while they quietly wait to be forgotten by the test of time.

reinhartz mind had changed overtime, those whom he early hated were now admired by him, elves who had known the truth all along and worshiped their mother, unlike the other the black hands' members reinhartz had gained an extreme devotion and dedication to shilen's tales. overtime the group was disbanded as members lacked the ambition to force their way back into the mainland, reinhartz kept his obsession alive, although his mind still portrayed shilen in an evil manner, he found her motives justified.

two years after the group's disband the world was thrown into chaos due to political struggles, by then reinhartz's obsession had grown beyond simple understanding, he had wishes to support the return of his goddess, believing that only under her domain individuals would find true peace, he came to this conclusion after learning of shilen's underworld, a place she had created to keep souls from vanishing after death.

with his new found focus reinhartz followed the whispers of adventurers and ventured forth, through the land.

3. Grazzt

Grazzt User

ha ha yes i'm really doing this :p (...well, if they really open the server otherwise i'd be so disappointed :cry: )

i know that i won't havea lot of people in this clan and that it's not gonna be a game-changing clan or anything, but if a few players create alts just for the fun of roleplaying then it would be great !

i could use your help in advertising it, maybe in the l2rpa website ?
    or would you rather i create an account there and tell them about it myself ?

anyway, i hope you'll create a dark elf alt in the shillien empire too :thumbsup:

Shorla, Pempem, ruben12 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Maya Reinhartz

Maya Reinhartz User

you'll have to accept my alt, his motives are justified as you can read above.

about the rpa, i'm not in a position to advertise a few clans, however i can definately throw a few kudos on an actual classic article.

5. Grazzt

Grazzt User

alright i'll create an account on l2rpa then ! (i may even have a very old one from back in the days)
    edit : done :thumbsup: ( http://l2rpa.org/fr/node/1270 )

so, your character is an elf who is turning his back on his former family and who wants to join the dark elves ?? hmm that should be interesting :)

6. innadril

innadril User

hey guys, you can whisp using "[name] :d
    jk, good luck with it, i'll be doing something too.

7. Grazzt

Grazzt User

excellent, then we already have 3 people interested in just a few minutes, that's a good start :thumbsup:

8. innadril

innadril User

yes... behold innadril, high inquisitor of einhasad, trailer coming soon.

9. HellBlade Se7eN

HellBlade Se7eN User

i've always been a hardcore player, but my characters have always been a reflection of my personality, in their actions and their style. always strong proudful melee and tanks (like duelist and hell knight) that will always face you and will never run away from you, and give its best to be the strongest and seek for power and glory.
    when i got some time will try make a plot for my gladiator, hellblade,the reckless prodigy.:thumbsup:

innadril likes this.
  10. attack

attack User

i am all about magic and controlling the dead

BlackWoodz likes this.
  11. HellBlade Se7eN

HellBlade Se7eN User

smells like necromancy.:rolleyes:

12. Grazzt

Grazzt User

what smells like necromancy ?
    (i love necromancy, this is something my dark elves characters will definitively have to dive into :p )

13. BiteMe

BiteMe User

this is interesting. i wish you good luck.

Grazzt likes this.
  14. innadril

innadril User

necromancy is not very well seen at the eyes of einhasad, just fyi...

HellBlade Se7eN likes this.
  15. HellBlade Se7eN

HellBlade Se7eN User

no matter if it's necro things or holy things, nothing will be stand on my way.:sneaky:

16. attack

attack User

very few can master this forbidden sorcery.

17. Sailence

Sailence User

then i should just name my character ********

18. Maya Reinhartz

Maya Reinhartz User

creation is not well seen by einhasad*

that crazy ***** surely went on a rampage for being the goddess of creation while the god of destruction had to calm her down, let me repeat this... the god of destruction had to calm her down.

19. innadril

innadril User

i know, that's why she is the goddes of creation and the true goddess of destruction :d ask the giants

PanPan, Whitezinho and Truga like this.
  20. HellBlade Se7eN

HellBlade Se7eN User

poor giants...:cry:

elva_ likes this.