1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lineage 2 Classic on Windows 10

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Zenaj, May 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zenaj

Zenaj User

hello, just recently someone told me that lineage 2 classic doesn't work on windows 10 (he was talking about korean version few months ago). i would like to know if that's true, and if anyone knows about nc/innova plans to correct this, since with free upgrades to w10 (if you have w7/w8), classic is gonna loose quite a few subscribers.

2. Tirith

Tirith User

i'd wait for a non technical preview version of windows 10, microsoft is releasing them in july/august. it's a bit early to declare that l2c won't run on win10 let alone that l2c will be losing players cuz of it.

3. attack

attack User

never upgrade!

Geemo11 likes this.
  4. Zenaj

Zenaj User

well, i don't wanna turn this debate in w10 vs. w7 argument, i wanna hear opinions about l2c on w10.
    like it or not, w10 is coming and even now that dx12 hype is getting out of control, imagine how it's gonna be if dx12 actually delivers.

5. robE`

robE` User

w10 has a modified kernel and at this moment l2 of any type doesn't work on w10, afaik it's a gameguard compatibility or something like that, maybe there is someone who tried the russian version with w10 and can tell if that works or not.

6. Tirith

Tirith User

lineage 2 was made on unreal 2 engine, which is 13 years old. i doubt it even works on dx10.

7. Oscar

Oscar User

windows 7 uses dx11 ...

8. Tirith

Tirith User

i was talking about l2.

9. Oscar

Oscar User

you clearly have no idea how it works, so i will put it simple:
    l2 works on dx11 (both updates).

windows 10 will use dx12, but as it wasn't officially released ncsoft didn't yet care to add support for it.

10. Tirith

Tirith User

you're saying unreal 2 engine takes advantage and all the features of dx11? or are you saying the game runs on a os that supports dx11?

11. Zenaj

Zenaj User

i guess he's saying 2nd.
    and i think l2 ain't problem here, reason why it doesn't work on w10 is in security (frost or gameguard, or whatever they are using now).

12. Tirith

Tirith User

probably.

13. MaoMao

MaoMao User

dx is backwards compatible, so, the game is using some features of dx9, iirc, but could be happy with dx7 if you tweak it, i think.
    it is based on a licensed version of unreal engine, something like 2.5, but that was heavily modified by the devs.

Tirith and Maya Reinhartz like this.
  14. zauliuz

zauliuz User

i hope you know that windows10 is not officially released? its just rc or smth like this.
    btw read game requirements.
    operating system : windows vista 32bit / windows 7 32bit / windows 8 32bit
    note: 64bit clients not officially supported and may experience issues running.

15. robE`

robE` User

those system req and that note is pretty old now, 64bit is fully supported, never had any problem. there was a similar problem with windows 8 at the beggining, i'm sure that after some time after w10 is released, they will patch it. unfortunately, gameguard is the mother of problems.

i'm still curious if russian version of classic works on w10

16. zauliuz

zauliuz User

w10 release in ~2 months (summer 2015). why you asking questions from future?

17. robE`

robE` User

oh god, i was asking if russian version of l2 classic works on current version of w10, maybe i'm wrong but the russian version doesn't use gameguard, right?

w10 won't change much from how it is now.

18. Zenaj

Zenaj User

because release of new windows is always huge thing, and as robe said, it won't change much in 2 months, so if it don't work now, it won't work later.
    imagine how will it be at day of official release if l2 don't work on new os?
    and as i said, ms is gonna offer free upgrade for all w7&w8 users (even people who got pirated versions will be able to upgrade), so maybe it's not too bad idea to raise this question 2 months before everyone and their grandma upgraids, only to find out that their favorite mmo won't work on new os. even if you think i'm asking stupid question, maybe this discussion will save quite a few people from upgrading their os too early?

19. zauliuz

zauliuz User

well.. main thing is better wait for full release of w10 and make frost work and not remake something everytime when they release new build of w10 rc. programmers should understand what i mean.

20. MaoMao

MaoMao User

i am using only 64 bit versions since all my computers have between 4 and 72 gb ram, never had issues.
    that being said, might not work the first day of release, but very soon, albeit with some bugs here and there until they fix them.
    the real problem what with multicore and multithreading not supported long time ago, but that has been long solved.
    a 64 bit upgrade would be nice, but i am not sure the client can be ported to 64 bit, unless they have the full source of the engine and willing to do the work for only marginal performance increase and better memory management. from what i know, they do have the source of the engine, but might not be worth it to really port it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.