1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regarding EU server(s) and population

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Norz!, May 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norz!

Norz! User

first off, and before anyone jumps at my throat:

i think that the ideal scenario is new server(s), meant for the eu/na population.

now, and this is what i think innova should know: if somehow you guys doubt there will be enough eu/na population in the long run to make at least one server offering a great experience, i believe that there are options other than simply not opening servers and keeping things as they are.

a) open eu servers that you know you can merge.... with ru servers down the road if needed. yes, we'd be a lot behind, yes gaming with russian is often a very difficult/frustrating experience (but then again, bad blood on a pvp server = awesome things happening). and either way, that's still better than nothing offered for eu/na players. you'd just have to make ru servers playable from an english client. probably not too difficult to achieve.

b) if you're even less sure you got enough customers for eu servers, and think it's pointless to open some that you'd have to merge with ru servers very soon, well, then simply release an english client to get started on existing ru servers. a little advertising to go with it and you'd get something interesting going.

my point is, there are many ways to get us happy. some are better than others, but if you feel the best option isn't achievable, it's a lot better to settle for an option that'll still make many customers happy, than just letting us all down.

again, new eu servers would be ideal. but that's just food for thoughts.

Swayarn and c4rlito like this.
  2. Arrakkis

Arrakkis User

does anyone have the actual population numbers for the ru classic servers? would at least be a decent indicator.

3. Norz!

Norz! User

i don't know. what % of those willing to start on eu woud play on ru with a ru client ? how many would if we didn't have a shot at an eu server ? i'm not sure you can really read too much into that.

anyway, point is as much as eu server(s) would be ******* awesome, there are decent middle grounds we could settle for if we can't have it all.

i'd be interested to read innova's staff position regarding this.

4. Arrakkis

Arrakkis User

well it might be a bad metric but there are numbers for ncwest's retail servers. and all of them are under 5,000.

i understand what you mean by a decent middle ground, but really the only way to get what we want is to end up playing on ru servers and making it very obvious that an english speaking community exists and is dividing the server.

however if we actually got 15,000 registrations and we can get any of that in pre orders, i think there is enough population for one server. but it's all speculation.

5. Ceausheasca

Ceausheasca User

lets just say that not many ppl are willing to even try to play on a ru server with a ru patch where everything u see is ru.
    lets also say that in an eu server many ppl will at least try .
    because i doubt americans (for example) would ever even consider a ru server...while we can see that they are interested in an eu one.
    so numbers or the ru server doesnt mean much , specially since alot of them will probably move to the eu one too (more possibilites)

6. Arrakkis

Arrakkis User

the numbers for the ru server were to be able to say that this population is a sustainable profitable amount. like if they have 6k active people then our server would also need 6k in order to be profitable.

and you're very correct about na players being more interested in an eu server as opposed to an ru. i'm from na and i'm very excited for the eu server.

7. Norz!

Norz! User

you guys probably knew, but for the record, .ru servers are hosted in europe. so you'd get same ping/routing.

if somehow they don't open eu servers but say release an english client for russian servers, you'd still get some sort of eu/na servers. sure, it'd be full of russian as well, but so were old l2 servers.

the west teaming up against the east could be pretty interesting ^.^

8. Arrakkis

Arrakkis User

yeah, i logged into innova's god servers and the ping was decent something like 150.

it could be interesting to go on the ru servers, but i honestly think there's a big enough movement to open up english speaking servers. guess we'll have to wait.

9. Norz!

Norz! User

absolutely. this thread is just meant to get innova's attention on plan b or c in case we reaaaally have to get to that point.

10. BryGen

BryGen User

cant make payments due to sanctions. might be a few ways but very tedious. something they would have to fix for better na numbers if ever a ru server merge host by ru side.

11. BouncingPanda

BouncingPanda User

i feel strongly that players from eu/na will be enough. everyone in the us i talk to hates ncwest after there latest and greatest failure of servers. and all of them have pledged to play on innova even if ncwest was to release before them.

12. Swayarn

Swayarn User

if there's 5000 players on a ncwestern server, 4675 of em are bots!

13. BouncingPanda

BouncingPanda User

bots have been around since i can really remember. but since its classic you can train em like i used to in c2 and c3 when you still dropped equipment when you died by a mob lol. so let em bot just get there gear lol haha

14. WizarDEAD

WizarDEAD User

i totaly agree! l2 is not ping based game. it doesnt matter if u have 50 or hundred. also me and my friends already play on grand kain and its runnig nicely smooth..

so is there some problems with start eu servers? so make new realm on russian, call it "europian ****" let as download english client and 98% of ppl here will be fully pleased.

15. BouncingPanda

BouncingPanda User

i agree but i know some people on the russian servers right now and its possible we could all go there but the russians have somewhat of a huge headstart lol

16. WizarDEAD

WizarDEAD User

new realm with new database of course

17. MaoMao

MaoMao User

and not even a new server, but an old russian one, re-opened.

personally, i dont have anything against joining a server where russians had a big headstart if cheating is not allowed.
    given the level wall, they will only have some 10 levels ahead after 2 months and that will be reduced by a couple of levels every few weeks.
    the only problem is for the clan halls and castle sieges where, indeed, for a long time, newcomers will have no chance, even in a fully legit server.

it will certainly be better if a new server opens, available to everyone, from all around the world.

however, this is probably not possible, as the current license probably applies only to russian language client, as it was pre-god when innova had rights only for russia.

18. CM Amarantha

CM Amarantha Innova Group

thank you for sharing your ideas to help us open the server.

though we are looking for opportunities to open a server along with minimizing costs and long-term risks, unfortunately, we cannot use this option as it is not applicable from the legal point of view.

RedWWW and migulogigolo like this.
  19. Scarecrow

Scarecrow User

aha thats why you have merged 2 ru servers, minimizing cost and long term risks....looks like it not really worked there ? open 5 ru classic servers, even a normal thinking person would know that this is not working and for eu you complain about 1 or 2 servers. im sorry amarantha you and your company just complain complain and complain and delay it. if you need 6 month for create a reg page i really dont want to know how long u need for a decision or even translate the game in english.
    6 days to go to 21 may im really excited what special post we get again. cause the last special post was nothing more then a downer.
    remembers me to the official launch forum post : we would like to collect 15 000 registrations - that means, 15 000 people willing to play. we believe that this number is enough to keep at least one classic server populated in a long-term period. it doesn't mean that we expect 15 000 simultaneous playing l2 fans.

and the only thing we got to hear was oh we sorry 15k was just the lowest we need to start think. ncsoft would say sooooooooooooooon

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  20. Norz!

Norz! User

thanks for your reply.

well, now that i think about it, i guess that if you could have opened some l2c servers with both ru and en clients, aiming at both markets, you would have done so. would have made sens, population hence risk wise.

@scarecrow

you're entirely missing the point. i don't think the amount of servers is where the risk is. the risk is can you sustain at least one in the long run. how many they're opening is probably not too relevant.
    also it's definitely not creating a "reg page" that takes months, but more evaluating the feasability of the project, and then see if ncsoft greenlights it.

also, this thread was clean of angry qqing thus far, can we keep it that way ? enough other threads to riot in, not to mention we're not even the 21th, ffs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.