1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why doesn't Innova / NCSoft crowdsource RMT banning GMs?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by omicronx9, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omicronx9

omicronx9 User

i've always wondered why the companies who manage l2 don't crowdsource / open source rmt banning? they could have a very specific documentation process just like most open source projects do. an appproved list of contributors (community gms) and then a process those contributors must follow for a bot ban to be approved by an innova leader.

documentation
    1. step 1
    2. step 2
    3. step 3
    4. uploaded files / fraps footage
    5. timestamps / etc

would this really be so challenging to do? the innova team could focus on the game and the community would be able to police the rmt they hate so much.

RedWWW likes this.
  2. RajCaj

RajCaj User

i think this is a great idea. i think there would have to be a high level of oversight by innova to approve the submitted botting evidence, but it would at least alleviate the leg work associated with the task.

(really?!? the 1st 3 letters of a s s o c i a t e d is censored? lol)

3. Norz!

Norz! User

genuine question, which major'ish mmorpg ever completely beat rmt ? i don't think there is any.

and the reason is not that you can't beat them, the reason is that the mmorpg editors rather have them as a part of the game, as long as they don't completely kill the game. they pay subscription on p2p titles, and keep playing players that wouldn't be playing otherwise. of course, you'll never hear an editor acknowledging this, but after mmorpgs being around for over 15 years, i think it's time to stop being naive and just face the truth.

games editors gladly welcome rmt as long as it doesn't go too far and kill the game, or somehow costs the editor money.

for those that have played l2 in the old days, you know very well what i'm talking about. it's not that ncsoft wasn't actively looking, they were quite simply doing their very best to look the other way.

4. omicronx9

omicronx9 User

@norz!: blizzard banned bots like crazy in wow and it was a non issue in that game.

we know now that rmt helped killed l2 in a huge way. when i was playing prelude - c1 every day there would be a new forum post demanding ncwest do something about rmt and people i knew were quitting like crazy. now everyone acknowledges that not only did the updates kill l2 but it was ncwest's rmt policy.

rmt might pay subscription fees but in the long run they poison the community and the game. people stop caring or taking pride in their game character or their online community. one by one, as people quit, the game loses it's word of mouth and it's appeal and the game slowly dies.

my understanding is most people who quit in the later chronicles had given up on the game right around the time the amount of people using scripts and bots increased 75%.

the reason l2 is fun is because you must put forth your human effort and political skills in order to succeed. the moment l2 becomes about who runs their bot the longest or buys the most adena the game loses all meaning and just becomes a double click marathon.

RedWWW likes this.
  5. Norz!

Norz! User

yeah i remember hearing about that ban fest in wow back in the day, but point is, even though i don't play wow, i'd be very shocked you can't buy gold from this game at the moment. like i said, editors tolerate rmt as long as it doesn't go too far. when it does, ban hammer. open a new cycle, rinse, repeat.

and yes, ncsoft contributed to kill their own game because they acted greedy, only thought about next trimester profit and nothing else. i'm not sure they've eventually learned from their mistakes tbh.

i think my bottom line is, rmt shouldn't be too hard to make non-existent at an industrial level. if it still is, it has to be because the editors accepts it. i don't really see any other explanation.

6. omicronx9

omicronx9 User

yeah if you remember prelude, rmt were basically stealing your mobs and competing with you in order to sell adena to the server. gms did nothing about it. thousands upon thousands of blatant rmt like "doggpiggcat" and "wubingqua001" just roaming around in the most obvious way and running trains. if that happens in classic this game will suffer again. we need gms who are part of the community who have a vested interest in banning rmt.

RedWWW likes this.
  7. Norz!

Norz! User

at least back in the day we'd fight the actual people behind the rmt... not bots! and god knows that griefing them was a true part of what made that game fun. not saying it was good for the game obviously, but you know what i mean ;)

8. omicronx9

omicronx9 User

yeah i went red on the rmt on orc island so much it was insane. there were lots of dark elf daggers wandering around named "wulao005" and ****... on orc island. i still don't get why the hell they infested orc island so much over the more lucrative areas of the map. fighting them was fun and dramatic. their chinese gibberish that they yelled was hilarious. but you're right at least they were piloting the game, not a bot program. the moment nc allowed them to not just rmt but also bot, the game was destroyed. 1/6 adena rates aren't going to fix the problem with l2. banning china and rmt in general is going to fix the problems with l2.

RedWWW likes this.
  9. eytyxia

eytyxia User

if you want to report bots/gold-sellers, take a screenshot and contact support:
    https://4gameforum.com/threads/helpful-links-for-community-members.1564/
    "for ingame issues, bot reporting etc please use the following link and create a ticket with a full description of your problem and include any screens/video clips to support your ticket - support"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.