1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympiad!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by albers, Oct 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. albers

albers User

Hello fellow citizens!
    We know that classic is finally coming. And I have been thinking about my experience in Lineage 2, good and bad. But my mind got stuck on the one thing, olympiad.
    This is one thing that made me cringe... I had my share in Olympiad, being hero. But i always thought that it is very unbalanced. And I wouldn't understand the reason why it wasn't change for a long time.

I bet, everyone here knows how olympiad work, so i rather focus on a change i would like to see. I believe that this change would make it even more rewarding and competitive.

Changing item requirements.
    It always bothered me that players aren't equal, that makes it less competitive. Why give strong players even stronger abilities? I believe that olympiad and outside world should be different things. You should't be able to take your farmed items to olympiad. Rather than that, i would like to see separate shop with items usable only in oly. You get an area with all item merchants and dummies, so you can test the damage and change the build what ever suits you.
    Now talking about items, they are all same grade and not enchantable. You would be able to buy sets with different bonuses and also different special weapon abilities. These items would have same p attack, physical defense and all the bonuses as highest grade items. Entering olympiad would lock you from changing sets. And only two weapons would be changeable .

This give you competitive feeling, excitement and finally a chance! To be a real hero! Since all weapons and armors are available to everyone. I'm convinced that this change would be great for keeping players of burning out. Considering potential competition in Elmore and Adena. When average clan gets few heroes, this might turn the tables.

So this is it! Let me know what your thoughts are!

*Sorry for my literacy*

Maya Reinhartz likes this.
  2. HellBlade Se7eN

HellBlade Se7eN User

That utopian equality commie like, just doesn't work for Lineage 2. The Law of the Stronger is what reigns here, and olympiads make it even clear to understand.

3. Orcoso

Orcoso User

Yea, just like I thought, a dumb idea...

You should play guild wars 2, thats exactly how it happens there, you go to some arena, pick a team, get all the "fighting" gear, regardless of the **** you worked and made a gazilion raids for. And you get rewarded for anything, you hit for 1 damage while someone else killed it, guess what, everyone gets the kill!

That one, just took the dumb ideas to a whole new level rofl, that one is gonna be a hard one to top!

HellBlade Se7eN likes this.
  4. albers

albers User

Server dominance isn't enough for you? Castle sieges, epic bosses. If you are on the top and securing every boss, no one will have a chance even to compete. This idea is for activity and longevity of the server not your ego.
    And please i would like to hear why it is a dumb idea.

5. HellBlade Se7eN

HellBlade Se7eN User

Seriously, you're even able to imagine something equality like on L2? That just seems unreasonable for me.

6. albers

albers User

Yes, they were trying to do that in God of destruction which broke "classic". And i believe this doesn't.

7. Stride

Stride User

L2 isn't about casual equality stuff.

8. Lemmers

Lemmers User

The core idea of the Olympiad should be something that supports an idea like equal gear, but equal gear wouldn't solve much with how the Olympiad has been implemented. The real game you're playing when you're olying isn't what you see at face value, it's whats going on behind the scenes. Even if players had equal gear for the Olympiad, the ones that aren't a part of an organized group aren't going to get any competition anyways.

9. albers

albers User

Developers changed alot with new game (god) I believe they were heading the right way but with wrong decisions.
    Oct 14, 2015
    Clan feeding one player has to go anyway.

10. Lemmers

Lemmers User

I agree, but this will require a massive overhaul of the entire system and not just requiring everyone to use the same gear.

11. EnDmOsT

EnDmOsT User

Oct 14, 2015
    Competitors from same clan won't be able to play in a match. Or such an idea... Generally the topic idea is nice..

12. Lemmers

Lemmers User

What stops people from detagging on throw days?

13. EnDmOsT

EnDmOsT User

I don't think that we can avoid 100% the feeding... Maybe there will be a system that analyze your old clan status , we can say for the last 10 or 15 days(?) and does not allowed you to play with your past clan...or your whole clan ppl for a long time. There are too many wrong and correct ways to answer. Of course there will be also a dedicated person ,propably a kind of GM whos job will be the feed hunting...

14. RHDSyay

RHDSyay User

One option to stop feeding would be if there would be a rating system, and players would face equally rated players, so if someone is loosing (feeding) all the time, he would just end up with low rating and wouldn't get matched again.

15. Orcoso

Orcoso User

Still wouldn't stop the feeding, and l2 won't have a good oly population for months, even years to make that viable.

Heros are a powerful thing for the clan, specially sieges, that should be treated as a clan thing. It is too big to let any player have it.

I agree that the oly system doesn't work, but the feeding isn't what is wrong, or the gear, but the way classes were made originally. They aren't balanced at all, every class has it is differences, and it is one of the best thing in this game, every class has a roll, big advantages in a particular scenario, or be the worse class ever on another. Some do better on small pvps, some on mass pvps. The game bring that diversity...

If you wanna play olympiad, fine, make a oly class. Want to spend your time ganking on small groups? Make something that is good for that. Want to do play something useful for your group? There is an option for that.

If we make every aspect of this game "fair" to every class or every casual player, we might as well ask for a p2p god or go play wow.

This game was meant to be played in a clan, not solo, not on small groups or 4 hours a week. Olympiad is just another way to make clans fight for unique advantages against their enemies.

Something happened on kain way back in the day a while after heros and their skills were implemented. Nobody knew or cared about it, they were just farming their gear and xping cuz till then that was what mattered, then someone saw the importance of this heroes, organized their clans and got almost every caster hero for their small clan, 4 groups were able to hold a big castle from all the big clans. The next month, the big clans did the same, the small clan didn't get many heroes and ofc, lost the castle, but the point is, organization wins.

I don't see how throwing a big thing like this on random chance is gonna help much.

fagercraft likes this.
  16. CartmanEricT.

CartmanEricT. User

Absolutely true. There is no way to prevent oly feed. Also there always will be some classes that are the real "oly farmers" and some that require feed for the hero status, it's all about what you like to do in the game and what do you want to achieve. Forcing all players to compete at oly with equal gear is not into l2 style at all.... Some balance between the classes may be achieved by the oly buffs that each class gets by the system but it will not change the overview that much. The only problem that i see with olympiad so far is that it is way too much time consuming. If you play a class that can do well at open games it's all cool - you play all the time you want, you reg all the time you want and you farm points but for the classes that get hero by class based feed mostly it's pretty ****ty. If you are a hero wannabe you must spend a lot of time (basically every day since the start of the oly games untill oly registration is closed) to organise feeds and guard the manager to check if there are other feeds going on. It is still all about clan cooperation though since other people could do that for you but i still think its kind of boring and timewasting all in all. Maybe reducing the daily oly registration period or making the registration available for like 2 days each week would help improving the olympiad system. Anyway noone has any idea how olympiad will work in l2classic anyway (i have no doubts it will be implemented sooner or later) so this topic is kind of pointless at this point....

fagercraft likes this.
  17. Stride

Stride User

I'm not gettin' why is it worth to complain about something we won't see in L2C in a year or even more? :029:

Fragola likes this.
  18. Orcoso

Orcoso User

If that even happens, will take a lot longer than one year rofl, we already have almost 2 years of content (in korea) and no sign of oly

19. Lemmers

Lemmers User

At least it's keeping the community engaged, and shows all them passersby that there is activity going on!

Bosephine likes this.
  20. albers

albers User

So guys, you want to tell me that this discussion is pointless. And will be viable only when the Olympaid is ready for release? When everything is decided already and no changes will be made anymore. Then we can start discussion how we would change it? Iiii think noot.
    Anyway, one thing is wrong with lineage 2 community... that you dont want anything equal... you saying it's not lineage 2 if you get same chance to be something if you dont work in the game. I am getting really upset reading these posts. You have too much time on your hands maybe. This is cancer and it has to go away...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.