1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I would like to learn about this project as much as possible.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kuinu, Nov 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kuinu

Kuinu User

I admit that, when Lineage 2 was popular, I was still a kid, so I didn't even know anything about it. Though it would seem that people still enjoyed it, and that it had a certain degree of difficulty. I had only played some PS when I was a kid, but it didn't hit my interest at that moment, maybe because of the lack of people on the server.

In any case, now that it's been mentioned that the classic's going to be "revived", I would like to know;
    Will there be any opposition to newbies? I mean, on my early years, every MMO I'd go into had quite the aggresive approach upon new players, scaring them away. Also, I'd like to know what will the people going in exactly do; Wait for new content (If there's any at all), rush through the content, expect everyone else to know everything...?

As for the game itself, I'd like to know what did it focus on, what were the objetives, the limits of your character, etc. The only thing I know is that people went on some kind of frenzy over PvP stuff, but not much else.

Thank you very much for your attention.

2. moooo

moooo User

I've experienced a sense of comradery amongst Lineage 2 players (even when in the ugliest of clan wars) that I've never found in another game. I imagine this group of players returning to play classic once again will have also had a similar experience. It will be a very tight knit group of players who love the game and know what makes it great – the players. I think people know it would only be detrimental to the game to drive out players, so I believe you will be welcomed and have no trouble finding help and a good group of friends, and enemies (it is a grief driven game after all) ;)

Girenas likes this.
  3. Kuinu

Kuinu User

Well, I'm usually the "lone wolf" on online games. Is not like I do not look for guilds or people to talk with, it's merely what it turns out like in the end, even if I get people on my friend list: I always end up doing stuff by myself or with PUGs.

I'm not sure if I'd like to join just yet, given that I still do not know the endgame, objetives, limits, etc.

4. TRoGDoRB

TRoGDoRB User

While going it 'alone' is possible with dual boxing. What makes l2 great is its social interaction and how that influences all aspects of the game.

In response to your original question: as with all games there will be people who are nice and forgiving to newbies as well as those that aren't. But what I would say is that l2 can be brutal (especially l2 classic) and people WILL exploit that. Expect to be griefed and harassed daily... But all the more reason to group up and make friends right?

vagelaras and vvhitevvizard like this.
  5. Maya Reinhartz

Maya Reinhartz User

I'll try to answer your questions objectively.

>Will there be any opposition to newbies?
    Yes, you'll be expected to know how your role works and what other people can do but if you bring up you're a new player the "NEW PEOPLE TRYING THE GAME HYEP" might make it better(just watch out because a bunch of people might try to explain something to you and say conflicting things)

Edit: Right, this is Classic... yeah... like mentioned above people will try to screw you over so always pay attention to that.

>What people will do?
    Rush through content in the most efficient way possible in static 9-people(sometimes less people+dual boxing) groups and try to take the major Castle(I'd imagine Aden's will be available, otherwise Giran).

>What the game focuses on?
    - Sandbox Progression(as in... there's not really a quest chain you'll follow and ignoring it won't be as bad as in other games, they won't reward you XP most of the time either)
    - Player versus Player interactions(be it clan wars, sieges, PKing or sparring... this is pretty much what it was built for)
    - The Market(a few people play this game for its economical environment)
    ^ This is pretty much it, to appreciate other aspects of the game(like lore) is entirely up to you. The community most likely won't support it(in the sense that you won't find people to play with that have different objectives).

The endgame is sandbox in nature, you'd probably be pushed out of it if not in a guild but it's basically dealing with Elmoreden's political struggles as a clan leader/member and fighting for power. There are other things to do but as I mentioned above they were always an after-thought and never really an alternative to it.

6. -hvg-

-hvg- User

Lineage 2 is the game that rewards all kinds of play styles , playing solo will always be harder but you will be able to mix and party with a lot of other people that like to go clanless and just enjoy the game. It has a great crafting system , i play for small scale pvp , crafting , bartering and so on. I am casual now so i will enjoy solo/small scale aspects of the game as it will grant me a lot more fun and feeling of acomplishments. Rather then zerging the server out and trying to dominate everything. Classic is by far the harderst lineage you can play since the rates are low , but it's the most balanced as well. People need to enjoy the lower levels a bit more :)

7. Lemmers

Lemmers User

This BR bro is pretty close with this description, although the "fighting for power" isn't completely without endgame structure. Endgame direction is provided with castle sieges every other weekend, epic raid bosses (3 are currently implemented in Russia I believe), and to a lesser extent the highest level exp zones. Though you are not driven to these things explicitly by the game, nor told how exactly to interact with them, these would be considered what the focus of the endgame is.

8. Maya Reinhartz

Maya Reinhartz User

Right Sis.

I should clarify that by "sandbox" I mean that you're not fighting pre-determined enemies but enemies born out of circumstances. There's no major faction to decide who's your ally and who's your enemy, instead that's done entirely among the clans and leaders(it's pretty common for allegiances of individuals to shift during clan wars too).

When it comes to how a clan asserts dominance over others, then yes... It's pretty "scripted" but still heavy with player interactions(Epic Raids and Sieges on Classic).

9. Parody123

Parody123 User

Ther is one problem with lone wolf mentality since you cant really solo 20+. You would at least need boxed support.

10. /Jedd

/Jedd User

It's also worth mentioning that raid bosses, seiges etc are all in open world and clans during a war may use tactics such as locking down level specific zones in an attempt to prevent their enemy from levelling and or farming important materials/recipes to create better items. Besides the usual control of epic raids and castles.

Being actually new to the game you may find it hard to join a 'factor' clan/ally at first if that's what you desire but there will be all different types of players on this server and clans to accommodate them.
    Joining a clan is not a requirement to level or have fun, you can level fine in PUGs or just with the friends you make along your journey but you really do need one to fully experience the end game at higher level.

Look forward to seeing you in game :)

11. Luminight

Luminight User

Some tips for you as a newbie;

-learn your class
    -download teamspeak or vent have a mic
    -listen to your peers there is nothing more frustrating in l2 than someone not know in their 'role' in parties
    -make friends and add them to your in game friend list
    -find a clan who are willing and able to invest in your development as a player

Gottcha likes this.
  12. TrisIs

TrisIs User

yeah, and don't forget to be online 20+/7 ^^ This is joke ofc, but the truth is out there, all depends on your goals.

13. Kuinu

Kuinu User

Well, the ammount of comments this thread got is amazing, thank you for your guidance.

I'm more of a PvE player rather than PvP. While I don't neglect PvP completely, I do feel more at ease doing dungeons or bosses. If I were to put it on objetive terms, I want to advance my characters to the extreme in terms of equipment and development.

14. wewdome

wewdome User

Equipment-wise l2 is rather disappointing, especially in high levels, because there are no items with with random bonuses. There is pretty much one optimal armor set for each class and that's it. However, since equipment is very expensive, one of the mid term goals in game is to get the optimal gear for your level.

All epic world bosses drop very special jewels upon death, but they are extremely hatd to get and basically reserved for the strongest factor party. Nevertheless, the game is completely playable without one.

I'd say that until lvl 20 u will be mostly exploring your environment and game mechanics. Up until lv 40 u will get better understanding about your class. After about lvl 30 u will be constantly getting parties. After 45-50 u can find urself involved with some serious clan activities. I'd say that the goal of this game, unlike most others, isnt the end game content. Game experience at level 20 can be just as fun as pvping for Ant Queen. The idea behind the game is to find a group and to combine your efforts. The game is intentionally designed to be hard as **** for the solo player

Castle sieges are only part of the endgame. There is also pvp for map control, especially over raid bosses, world bosses and high lvl hunting grounds. Clan wars are constant part of the game. Some players prefer it over pve.

I dont know what class u have chosen by now, but it is worth pointing out that some classes are stronger and more useful than others. This has always been the issue with l2. I think it will be easier for you to find party, if u play support, healer or spoiler.
    The hierarchy of classes goes pretty much like this:
    Archers- HE>PR=SR
    Daggers- TH>PW>AW
    Tanks- DA>SK=PALA>TK tanks are generally not very useful at the moment.
    Warriors- Gladiator>WL=tyrant>destro. Glad, tyr and wl have different use. There are situations where one class is better than the others.
    Summoners- they are all useless at the momeny
    Mages- necro>sps=sh>sorc
    The dedicated healer class is bishop, but EE is mandatory for every serious party. SE has some healing potential too, but is preferred mostly in mage parties because of his buffs.
    Prophet and WC are considered buffers, but wc has some very strong attack abilities. OL is similar to wc, but his buffs apply only on clan members. New players should avoid ol.
    BD+SWS are the two most universal classes. They are support with great buffs and limited attack abilities, but they are mandatory for every serious party.
    Dwarves are spoilers and craftets. Both are unique classes, but i think a spoiler will fond ranfom parties easier.

The efficiency chart of damage dealers gors like: mages>archers>warriors, but this will change with upcoming updates.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    TRoGDoRB and vvhitevvizard like this.
  15. Lemmers

Lemmers User

I would suggest finding a different game then, tbh. If by dungeons you mean areas that resemble instances, there are none, and the bosses that will yield the "extreme equipment and development" for your character (the epic bosses) are all open world and you will need to PvP for them, probably for hours every day. Of course you could buy the epic jewels, but you will have to wait a very long time before you see any on the market and expect to pay an enormous sum of adena for them. This was true back in the original incarnation of L2, and it'll be more so this time around because of the boss jewel upgrade system.

16. Fragola

Fragola User

I would object only on one thing here:
    They are useless in the party 40+, but are great for solo PvE game. The rest of DD classes can't go without buff, buffers can't exp solo at all, but summoner has a summon and this summons acts like a DD and summoner as a support for it with heals and buffs. Not OP, not fast exp, not best DD, not best in PvP, but great for solo PvE.

I started as a newbie with Classic at RU in December, knew nothing about it before that.
    First it was all about exploration. And I read a lot.
    Then I found a relax clan, where people are friendly, I found a lot of nice players in the game, who helped me and explained stuff to me, showed different locations. I watched big clans PvPing for best spots and raid bosses. I chose a summoner because it's easy to go solo with it - as a newbie I couldn't be of a service to experienced clan or party.
    Of course there were people who didn't want to talk to me, tried to cheat, some people tried to stun me, some people PKed me. But I decided to focus on making friends, helping people myself whenever I could, thus attracting like-minded players, so I was invited into parties, buffed and helped very frequently. And my whole experience is very positive. I hope you like it too =)

vagelaras likes this.
  17. Lemmers

Lemmers User

What good is a class that is useless in group and useless PvP? Unless you're planning to solo PvE the entire time you're playing, a summoner is a terrible choice for a class.

18. /Jedd

/Jedd User

Is there no queen cat buff in classic?

19. Lemmers

Lemmers User

No. Not yet at least.

/Jedd likes this.
  20. Giposaur

Giposaur User

Is it useless in min-max party? Yes. Is it ok for casual party? Yes! Is it fun? Hell yeah! Not everyone plays for server domination :)

Fragola and Naralein like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.