1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to distinguish bots

Discussion in 'Archive' started by kittenLT, Nov 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kittenLT

kittenLT User

Hi, all,

Sorry for possibly easy question but I never was much afaced with bots in L2. Possibly because I was not distinguishing them... or possibly I was playing on servers with their low population: for example, currently on "Core" I didn't see them :).
    Starting from 1998 when I started to play MU on Korean server, I could recognize bots easily, they used one kill hack... thus, was easy to see who is who. Pretty soon I started to remember their nicknames and after one accident kill I understood that it is possible to kill them. In MU there were 3 statuses: white, orange and red. Red is a killer, white is a normal status, and the orange is like an intermediate status: killer after one kill, but it is like white status, just you have 5 minutes to become white again, and if you kill moobs, this white status will become even more faster. I remember days, when I was orange full the day and some time even red killing bots. That was a really interesting experience: I was searching for their beloved routes, killing them fastly and softly :), 220+ lvl Muse Elf could do it really nicely in different ways.

However, coming back to L2, I never thought much about bots... Possibly I couldn't understand that is bot or not ?

Could you pls help me to understand how to recognize that it is bot or not ?

I hope not to see bots around, but... good to know what is that.

Your help is much appreciated.

2. Orcoso

Orcoso User

Train them, if they just stand there and die, they are bots, profit from the loots. If they run away, they are probably not bots, so they are good, if they die, oh well, pick up their loot and make some money

3. kittenLT

kittenLT User

I heard somewhere that they have some kind of "artificial" intelect... What is their behavior ? I try to understand what is that. How do they react on someone's approaching ? Do they have some logic of behavior ? For example: will they "killing steal" my moobs :) ? Something that is possible to destinguish ? :)

4. G3n3s

G3n3s User

there is a realy easy way to tell

start to chat with them, if they dont answer they are bots. easy as that.

5. vvhitevvizard

vvhitevvizard User

Some bots can give equivocal replies. I dont know how to express it in english properly, hit and miss technique,
    bots answer randomly the way it suits in most cases. Moreover, advanced players write additional scripts to analyze the chat by searching for some keywords and reacting to it accordingly.
    Nov 24, 2015
    Sometimes that will not do. ;) Some people disable the chats, others prefer to ignore random people passing by.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  6. Exterion

Exterion User

I've heard that when you aquire items from bots when they die from mobs or training them there is a chance you might get banned as well. because you gained items that are made by bots..
    so i dont know if it is smart to pick up drops from bots.

7. vvhitevvizard

vvhitevvizard User

Best option. Train them first, ask questions later ;)

8. Hartassen

Hartassen User

I've read that too

9. Thesis

Thesis User

Wtf? That makes no sense. You kill the bot, you are the good guy, not the bad one.

10. ThreeHares

ThreeHares User

Yeah... Some clarifications might be required.

11. Approbus

Approbus User

Because "killing bots" could be abused by bot owners, ie. killing it with "legit" char and picking up its drops and thus making it legitimate item.

12. ThreeHares

ThreeHares User

But if you leave the item on the ground and someone runs into it and picks it up later and gets banned, it still makes you a bad guy

13. vagelaras

vagelaras User

If you play at least in one server you have meet bots but maybe you didn't realize that.

Serious? Maybe they don't want to talk to randoms? Really this is a dangerous assumption that maybe will lead you in a ban for unnecessary harassment on gm team.
    Pale if someone don’t want to talk to you it does mean that he is a bot.

1. Bot makes the same moves all the time without any delays or with the same delays. ex. A character takes target 1 mob, when kill it, he goes asap to another mob, and to the next one. He does the same moves and the same skills no matter what.
    How to interact to this : Take the same target as bot takes and before bot hits the mob, you must hit it, if bot change target asap, probably he is a bot.

1. Try to speak to him, but if he doesn’t answer, it doesn't mean he is a bot, if he stops to move for 1milisecond he is not a bot (he reads what you say).
    How to interact to this : Flag , but maybe you die.

1. Try to understand by moves. If somenone makes the same moves and doesn't stop nowhere, but nowhere, without any delays for 20min+ there is a botting possibility.
    How to interact to this :If you have time to waste stay there and watch him for at least 15-20min (buff ends) if he does the same moves he is a bot.

1. Bots usually perform actions on the same limited place, if someone kills mobs in one place goes from mob to mob and suddenly he stops and waits for mobs to respawn no matter the fact in a close distance there is a huge pack of mobs. He doesn't go there because bot has limits. It is like a square in the map, bot doesn't hit nothing out of this square just waits for mobs to respawn in the square or walk in the square.
    How to interact to this : Just watch if a char idles in one place and when a mob respawns he runs immediately for a kill. Tip: Good botters adjusts bot limits very good and in good places with high respawn frequency (low possibilities to been cathced by others).

1. Bots usually leaves items (junks) without pick up them, bots usually leaves arrows, books and useless items to the ground. Watch out because some players also leaves to the ground such stuff.

Now if you kill a bot just hitting him, you raise your karma , if you have major difference with the botting char (you are 10+lvls bigger of him) and kill him you have big problems because you will take too much karma, then you have to kill many mobs in order to get rid of your karma. If you are the same lvl you will have to kill 5-10 mobs around you to become white again, the same happens if botter is bigger that you at least 10+ lvls but maybe then you can't fight mobs that are around you.

So if you find someone and you believe it’s a bot you must check if at least 2 (to be sure) of this aspects are in effect. Then you will have to choose what to make with him , kill him or leave him or report him. My opinion is just to report, because karma it’s a bad thing for me even worse of someone botting, let admins to handle it.
    In a report, admins can easily check the “botters” line for undergoing programs without even see the char. GM checks the line which will be something like this
    L2.exe *64 Ncsoft
    L2bot.exe*64 Soumatsou
    And…… //ban target- Used to kick and ban a named players account.
    Sorry if my English was like abluah bluah :D. GL & HF

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    kittenLT likes this.
  14. Approbus

Approbus User

Well, it wasn't really like that. Most of the times items were removed from characters without banning them. Also, there wasn't too many examples of botting and also of this rule, because this rule was issued in January-February and at that time bots on RU Classic were extremely rare and virtually non-existant for 40+ chars.

15. ThreeHares

ThreeHares User

Easy come easy go. Losing an item is not as terrifying as getting banned ^^

16. iboyanov

iboyanov User

1. Start a casual conversation and see how do they respond, do they make any sense (if there is a response at all);
    2. Hit them couple of times, while mentioning their mothers in a non-respectfull way;
    3. Interact more with them (stun/dot/heal their target mobs, create a giant phallus on the ground, using dropped 1 adena stacks);
    4. At this point you would have angried even the most unconventional of people, making them want to run you down, gut you out and piss all over your dead body.
    5. If nothing like this happens, then you should do one of the following:
    5.1 Use the report bot button;
    5.2 Take them down with karma;
    5.3. Lacking the balls to do so, use "!" chat and inform potential big-cojoned people in your area that you've found bots (state their names);
    5.4. Train them and enjoy some loot, if you are successful (prepare a sob story for admins, if they eventually trace down bot's loot to you - dead grandma, dead dog, Bulgarian's national football team performance in the last 20 years should work fine - so they forgive you and unban your character)
    5.5. Come at the forums and start a topic that server is bot infested and you want your money back;
    5.6. Come at the forums and create a topic, visualize with screenshots actions 1 to 3 and recieve six community point for your detective skills (wait 2 to 10 hours for a forum moderator to lock your thread and tell you that this is not the way to report suspected bots and you should report them via ingame button and ticket to support - you lose the community points).

ThreeNill, wewdome, Fragola and 4 others like this.
  17. vagelaras

vagelaras User

If not a bot, a good way to die?
    Nov 24, 2015
    A good solution. If you understand that someone is a bot and you are a mage/healer , heal the mob with battleheal/great battleheal, posssibly you will take a drop :D.

18. Orcoso

Orcoso User

Whoever said that is a big dumb dumb, I would use other terms but my posts might get **** again.

You don't have to worry about picking up bots gears lol

vagelaras likes this.
  19. G3n3s

G3n3s User

ppl who dont wanna get trained will answer ...

20. Orcoso

Orcoso User

Or they are just baiting you! If you get with a train close to them, they will just stun you and let you die to your own mobs!

vagelaras likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.