1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about SWS (beginner).

Discussion in 'Class Discussion' started by Ulmaceae, Dec 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulmaceae

Ulmaceae Banned

Hi, I'm still choosing my class. I was deciced to just play dd - SpH, but right know I'm thinking about some active support class again. I like SE, but I don't like the idea that I will not be able to do "any" damage.

What is SWS role between 20-40 in pt? It's hard to do some xp alone?
    Can I kill something alone as SWS? I'm not thinking about solo xp, but sometimes you need to do some dmg. :)
    It's gear for fresh SWS (40) expensive? Like BD need -> duals?

I don't have constant party and I'm casual player with few hours/day and few days/week. It's stupid idea? :)

2. Apophis

Apophis User

You can solo mobs until 40 as future SwS without any problem, and you will be able to do so after, but not as effective.

In hardcore parties you will prolly keep up song/dance with the bd, and run arround making trains, but in more casual or smaller groups yyou will be able to assist with dmg.

It's not a crazy ideea to go SwS, especialy if you play casual as you don't have the luxury of wasting time to find a party, and as support you will get instant invites.

Gearing SwS is cheaper as BD but just in terms of weapon.

Ulmaceae likes this.
  3. Ulmaceae

Ulmaceae Banned

That sounds better than I thought. :) So, what is the main difference between SWS and BD? What are the biggest disadvantages of SWS? E.g. when you are in some pvp situation.

About gear... I guess for wear it's just heavy all the time, but what about weapon 1-20, 40+? :)

4. Apophis

Apophis User

There are a few differences but the playstile is similar. As BD you can also get invited to small parties or even duo with some outside buffs, while with SwS you will modtly be in full partyes.

Inside a party BD will sometines need to use hex on different targets. The SwS will make the trains in aoe parties. Here is a small diference, as with BD you will be able to be semy afk for like 2 min, while the SwS will require your full attention. For PvP both are similar.

As weapons you will go for sword and shield, unless you get something better from drop.

5. fagercraft

fagercraft User

Cursed maingauche + shield to 48, then sword id say :D

6. xHaseo

xHaseo User

IMHO :
    BD and SWS are both 'semi-tank/DDs',this is what they were,but for the most,they're supports.
    BD has a low aggression and UD which make him able to get aggro during both PVE and PVP.As an old BD user in Teon (C5),my role was to keep up the dances (ofc) and when PVP was up,my role was to take and mantain as far as i could the aggression of DDs far from healer,put on UD and get my bow to make at least a few DPS,even if low. BD is offensive,higher p.atk and dmg buffs.
    SwS can also tank,but i may be wrong,he doesn't get UD,i was a BD as i said. Anyway SwS role is almost the same,with the difference that SwS is 'defensive',with his songs he can increase pt survival stats (p.def m.def HPs max delays),and since he got no mastery and a low shield mastery,SwS can be played with Shield+Dagger,making him a semi tank-'quick' DD. Compared to the BD the SwS is more likely to be a tank than a DD.
    So the roles for both are quite the same : support your pt during PVP/PVE with aggressions/debuffs & D/S. In PVE a BD make higher dmgs compared to a SwS but SwS can stand mobs easly. Keep in mind that since they're not pure DDs,their DPS is not so high to allow them a quick or smooth solo-xp...even if,this was C4/C5,maybe with classic they will be different :)

7. Dethro

Dethro User

He has UD ;-)

To your question. As a future SwS, you are just regular tank between 20-40, so your role in party will be running around and making trains. You can solo, but I don't recommend it, because it might get annoying very soon - depends on the gear you have though. And after 40, party is a "must have" I would say, because your base damage is really low. You can try to go dagger + shield as people above me suggested. I've never tried it, but it may work.

8. Maya Reinhartz

Maya Reinhartz User

A level 20-40 would-be Sword Singer is an Elven Knight as stated by Dethro. You'll be acting as the main tank for your party which means pulling aggro and/or running around.

Yes, Sword Singer is a class that's extremely effective by itself when compared to other fighters. Not only it's an Elf(Sprint, Auras, Magic Barrier) but your Songs also greatly impact a fighter's combat abilities(Hunters, Wind, Resistences).

It'll be as expensive as any other class that doesn't require dual swords, so it's cheaper than Blade Dancer/Gladiator. You don't need dual swords but you'll want a pocket no-grade dagger for quick singing and probably a pole for AoE damage.

I don't think it's a stupid idea at all, I'd say Sword Singer is the most "solable" fighter in the game if we assume you won't use a boxed buffer. I played the class for quite a few years but haven't tried it in Classic yet so I might be off around some areas but if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

I'd say if you manage to get into a clan with a regular clan hall(not provisional) you'd be quite well off with its buffs, assuming they're available on Classic.

9. fagercraft

fagercraft User

SWS with Bow i very decent soloer (true solo no buffs), especially when he gets hunter song.

Then again solo at lvl49 is a terribad idea, you atleast want duo or box a buffer at that point. Luckely you never have to solo as SwS

10. lusocro

lusocro User

Hunter+earth=archers and melee fighters will love you:9:You´ll never walk alone.:117:

11. ziggle

ziggle User

Remember you have to put up dances/songs every 2mins. and that's not easy even for the dedicated pros.

12. wewdome

wewdome User

Sws and bd are the best option for single casual players. They will always find party and they dont even need top weapons unlike the dd classes.

13. vagelaras

vagelaras User

What r you talking about? it's difficult? pffffff and rolf! What character are you go for? There is no onebutton character!!!! Other than dwarf is complicated?

all true , can solo , intresting role, can find easy party, usefull pvp char ...... but pvp count will remain at 0!!!!!!!! or at best chance 1 or 2 ...... if you dont intresting in taking pvp is a great and usefull char to others. but not a pvp taker. GL!

14. Azgaard

Azgaard User

Make a macro and go AFK for 8 mins.

15. Estelmist

Estelmist User

First of all you don't play as a SwS to do damage.
    I'll try to answer your questions based on my L2 Classic experience.

1. Your main role in a party would be being either a dd, main assister or a train puller.
    2. Don't choose an sws if you want to do damage in PVP. You know what your role will be in common pvp situation? Aggro+UD. Done. Wooh! Can you feel the damage? No.
    Well ok,maybe if you get lucky and get your hands on a cursed dagger, which applies a bleeding effect every time you crit, then maybe you will do some damage. But take into account that the dagger costs 1.54kk...
    On top of that you don't have anything to do in pvp before lvl 55-58, when you get the Root Aggro thingy and Silence. But based on what you said, being a casual player and all that, it will take a looooooooooot of time and a loooooooooooot of commitment to get to those levels...
    3. Soloing as an SwS. Hmm, what can i say, there's a big chance of dying from boredom. Don't do that. And even if you do you would need to have a pretty good buffer to make your farming efficient.

If you really want to play a DD support class or a similair one, go for BD or if you want to be tank and do damage then go for SK.

Not trying to be negative, just being realistic.

Pashmin and vagelaras like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.