1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Melee vs ranger/caster comparison

Discussion in 'Class Discussion' started by PockCst, Jan 4, 2016.

1. PockCst

PockCst User

So ive been leveling a Tyrant with a Cleric box. Just got a hold of top D Bichwa fists. And still gotta say... still dont got a flying **** in comparison to casters/rangers in case of experience or grinding. Is this going to get a fix soon or in like a year? if so... time to reroll. No way there is not even a chance in hell to play melee at this point?

2. Namus

Namus User

No idea to what mages are you comparing yourself but my clanmate is lvling at same speed as me and he is monk with cleric box and i am solo elven wizard. That is very good if you ask me considering his box is just leeching xp outside buffs and occasional heal (at least until higher lvls when buffs start being a lot more important). We play around same amount of time and are similar in gear.

EDIT: those mages you are talking about are probably using bspsd instead of spsd so they are killing/lvling a lot faster but at cost of huge money sink.

Nyweris likes this.
  3. PockCst

PockCst User

Just had a very bad state of mind during my post, sorry. But yea the exp may be fine. It just seems that melee is very underpowered at the moment. Specially with this version of the Vampiric Rage buff. Maybe it will feel more balanced at 44+ when the melee buffs such as haste/zerker spirit etc will be present.

4. Wiesior

Wiesior User

In L2 melee classes always was underpowered. But in fact classic is the worst balanced version of this game ever.

S.e.t.t and Jujata like this.
  5. Jujata

Jujata User

So true
    They just had to get interlude and cut off stuff from there. Maybe h5 if they wanned mails and stuff like that. But GoD mechanics sux so bad. MObs hit like truck - poor melee dudes, skill effects like stun are ****** up. Why ? they were writen for GoD char stats and prolly not modified for pre GoD or badly modifed.

6. The_Razza

The_Razza User

It's crazy how much people (including myself in some aspects) forgot what certain aspects of this game were like back when retail was using similar mechanics to what we have here. Melee was always at a significant disadvantage when compared to range.

7. Jujata

Jujata User

Well not always. On Gracia final melees were the **** in 9v9 and farming HB. Also they had those weak to melee good exp mobs.

8. Wiesior

Wiesior User

Gracia is hard to call L2. And even in Gracia the sieges and all mass PvP are ruled by nukers and archers.

9. Alexsaysz

Alexsaysz User

Melees became good in pvp only in deep lategame H5 in official servers and maybe through mid to lategame of private servers using GF chronicle because of the op doombringer's rush (if they werent against good mage parties, otherwise they will get rolled on even with pranah, party ud, etc).

Those groups were more important for PVE content (any epic or non epic rb you can think of besides antharas and valakas) rather than pvp, thats why most were boxes/had no main user. But no good clan could survive / equip themselves without them, specially in H5 with the instance content that helped low geared clans.

10. S.e.t.t

S.e.t.t Banned

Honestly melees don't cut it in Classic. WL/BH/WS/DE can AoE a bit, but that's it. Single target is a waste of time - as is any solo play.
    Daggers can exploit blows if they have a partner to tank, everyone else is screwed. Even freaking Frenzy is basically useless.
    PvP-wise only gladiator is in the same game as mages and archers for small engagements... only because he's basically ranged too.

11. PockCst

PockCst User

Actually a nice post, thanks. Nice to see a point of view that had som depth instead of the normal answer that is usually: "NECRO FTW". But yeah... Sure i could main Tyrant for PvE, but it just seems as a waste to be only designated for PvE and not even be given a chance to PvP.
    Anyone have any info how it is for Melee's now in RU/KO servers? Have they received any patches to balance the game yet?

12. Alexsaysz

Alexsaysz User

They have been buffed (specially in KR lastest patches) but they are still behind against ranged in pvp (both party vs party and mass), and will keep beign since korea doenst plan any radical change to the game mechanics (something that is a must if you want to bring them on pair with ranged classes).

On olys (kr already has them) is another story because its basically ruled by the golden debuff rule:
    "the one who gets the first hard debuff on wins"
    So you have melees like DA who get the fear on and they win, destros with the stun, etc, but any ranged class with a hard debuff (like archers and their stun) still have an advantage over melees since they can landed it faster.

13. wewdome

wewdome User

There is another problem with balance of stun skills. Stun chance is so high, whoever casts it first has the ability to stunlock anyone 1-3 levels higher. I think it is unacceptable that orc shamans should be able to stunlock warrior/tank classes. Also, tanks should have a skill similar to lionheart.

oldmofo likes this.