1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to help with the bot problem

Discussion in 'Archive' started by S.e.t.t, Jan 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S.e.t.t

S.e.t.t Banned

A few pointers that can help you help Innova help you:

Don't report everyone you suspect.
    Yes, you read that right. There can only be so many people checking for bots, and Innova cannot ban people on suspicion alone. Checking every person you report takes a minimum of about two minutes, but usually it's more like ten. And based on personal experience, GM's try and check reported people up to TEN times over the course of just one week. That is a lot of wasted time and effort, that could've been spent hunting real bots instead of checking up on my wife ^^. Anyways, only report those you are sure are boting. Now, how can you be sure?

a) Buff them.
    One of the safest ways to conclusively identify a bot, for a regular player, is to buff them. If their buff-bot is configured to give Shield lvl1 and you buff them lvl2, some bots will just try to buff lvl1 over and over, untill they run out of mana.

b) Steal their mobs.
    Most bots are configured to change target if someone else hits it first. If you see a dwarf repeatedly run towards a monster, then change target the exact moment someone else hits it, there is a high chance it's not live player.

c) Hit them. (but watch out for karma)
    If they say something the excact moment you hit them, or if they cast a heal at the exact same time, there is, again, a good chance it was automated. If they immediately force-relog, it's a safe bet (you can't do that with legit client).

Don't warn them.
    Seriously. If you tip them off, or if you outright tell them you report them, they just switch to another char for a week to avoid GM's, then pick up botting right where they left off.

Distinguish between a bot and a pet.
    just because one player runs with an archer and five different supports, doesn't mean it's a bot. No, it's not pretty, nor fair to people who play support as main, but it is legal. It's not hard to configure an SE pet in a way that you only need to switch to that char 3-4 times per buff period, using only ingame macros. And while most people cannot be bothered about that, it's also not impossible to attack a monster with 3+ toons almost instantly (but not 100%). A good, active mage/archer party can also reach remarkable synchronisation, but again not 100%, like bots.

and finally:
    Be carefull who you trade with.
    Don't buy **** for real money, don't trade with people who endorses RMT. That's why most bots bot, and you may end up having you equipment removed and/or account suspended (extreme case scenario).

Be carefull who you party with.
    If someone gets caught with a bot, odds are the entire party will be penalised regardless of who actually bots or not. Don't say i didn't warn you...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    bagindawud and Bananadrama like this.
  2. bahuuba

bahuuba User

Good tips !

I also think from Innova's side, making purchases of RMT adena should be more risky.
    If people start getting banned regularly for buying adena ( which I'm sorry, should crazy easy to track), the bots would 'lose' their reason to be here.

Without demand, there will be no offer.
    As long as people buy adenas, there will be bots and spam messages.

If word starts spreading that people are getting banned for buying, most lambda players will think twice before doing it, and little by little, this would be -in my opinion- the best long term solution.

Just my 2 cents!

3. S.e.t.t

S.e.t.t Banned

Well it's not that easy, on the contrary, with little effort it's very easy to make it very difficult to track.
    Plus it cannot be done ingame by enthusiastic GM's, it has to be searched in logs by someone who can get paid upwards of 50€ per hour to do it....

4. bahuuba

bahuuba User

I know that the game Path Of Exile for example ( owned by a small company Grinding gear Games)
    tracks all big IG transaction where the users didnt have interaction over the last few weeks.

If the suspicion is flagged, account are temp blocked and you have to justify how and why you received all that out of nowhere.

It might be annoying once in a while when there's a false positive, but in the end the community is ok with paying this price for a healthy server.

5. S.e.t.t

S.e.t.t Banned

Well, the trouble is you interact/trade with strangers all the time in Lineage, tracking through one transaction can be easily avoided by reselling and you can't just ban anyone who comes into contact with someone who came into contact with a bot, can you....

6. Hyperlite

Hyperlite User

Because imprisoning all drug users while ignoring the drug suppliers has worked so well for every single country who approaches a drug problem that way... Fairly sure they still have drug users.

That approach would kill the server. L2 is over 10 years old man. Players don't just grow on trees.

Not everyone buys Adena, and it isn't that hard to farm in this version of L2.

As always, the few people who **** at L2 scream the loudest on the forums, and it will eventually turn this server into a dead server like all the rest of the ncwest servers.

Botting and Adena buying has existed forever because gamegaurd and frost can be beaten. Either learn to adapt and be better than the people who do that or find a new game m8, that stuff can't be stopped or it would have been years ago.

You either love this game and the competition it gives or you don't. The people who spend their time complaining on forums i don't believe honestly love this game, but rather love some convoluted made up fantasy of how l2 should be for their own personal standards instead of playing and trying to beat cheaters.

Che2n and eXistenZ _ like this.
  7. blowmeaway

blowmeaway User

Another point, even if someone has alot of pets behind him (or not). I never saw a bot stopping his hunt for like 2-4s with mobs near. Bots are nonstop!

S.e.t.t likes this.
  8. DemiGoth

DemiGoth User

Hey my buffslut is no pet :D But yeah kinda a good one there as you wrote it. When ppl see me running around with my SO which actually participates in the action I get a lot of yelling 'BOT' (or 'BUFFBOT') at me. While boxing is a skill ppl should learn to understand. L2 allows to create in-game macros and if set good it's totally possible to play 2 to 4 boxes simultaneously. Heck, I even knew someone on Naia who had 7 boxes running all at once using in-game macros and it went pretty well...

One other thing you forgot to mention to detect bots very well is how they walk. And most certainly with bot parties you see it that they all walk to exactly the same spot, wait half a second and then move to the (exactly the same) next spot.

9. S.e.t.t

S.e.t.t Banned

Ok, here is another one, if you want to post a video with bot:

First and foremost it is very unlikely that that video alone will lead to a ban, even if it contained conclusive proof. It is nice of you to provide it, but it is not the preferred method of reporting. Plus, it may tip the bot off.

Second for the video to be of any use, it must:

a) contain a conclusive proof (duh). I explained what can be considered conclusive in the original post. There may be other methods, but if it's not conclusive, you are wasting everyone's time (not to mention yours).
    b) Have the right length. If it is too short, odds are there won't be enough eveidence. Give it a few seconds before, then take action, then take a few seconds to show bot's reaction. If you can repeat it once more, that is a big bonus. But don't go overboard. If the video is longer than, say, a minute, it will be faster for the GM's to look for other bots in-game.
    c) The name of the bot must be 100% legible. That means original, or very close to original resolution.
    d) the video must bea readily available. Noone will bother downloading more than a couple of megabyte, so it is either very small file (contradicting previous two points, or it must be streamed. For streaming, youtube work, but only if:
    - the resolution is either 720p or 1080p
    - it is encoded with .h264 codec
    - the bitrate is 3000-5000 kbps
    I also strongly recommend recording with fraps, instead of the in-game recording as the size of in-game video in full resolution is rather prohibitive (in the order of gigabytes per minute).
    For encoding, Xillisoft converter works very well, once you get the hang of it.

DemiGoth likes this.
  10. Tirith

Tirith User

Hello,

No matter how genuine is the footage it is not enough in itself, it still has to be analyzed on the back-end. Meaning, Innova will have to manually check out those logs or database to see if those characters were indeed automated. That is also why reporting such content is best to be reported directly to Innova and not forums.

Regards.

11. S.e.t.t

S.e.t.t Banned

Well, there you have it...

12. Tirith

Tirith User

That's not a bad thing, hehe. It ensures the right characters/accounts get banned.

Regards.

13. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Head Moderator (EU) Head moderator

There is no need for sarcasm, what Tirith has said is correct.

Reporting on the forum is pointless as the Support Staff do not work from the forum so a ticket directly to them will ensure that the report gets to the correct Team in the shortest time.

And the Support Team have said here on the forums in the past that the only information they need from players when reporting bots is the characters nicknames. Screenshots and videos can be manipulated and are not substantial enough evidence on their own to support a botting claim, they need to do their own investigations which they start doing so from the characters nickname and nothing more, making a video of that character does not make the process faster or easier for the Team, video or no video the investigation is still the same process.

The only and most efficient ways you can help against botting is to use the bot report button or to give the character names in a Support ticket.

Regards.

DIL likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.